16 Nov Vegetarian Stew
Posted at 22:09h in Uncategorized
- 1 Cup Mixed beans
- 2 Tab olive oil
- 1 Lg Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 Lg Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Med Green capsicum, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 Cup Green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Diced potatoes , leave the skin on
- 400 Grams Tinned Tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 Tab Chili Powder, adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 Cup Uncooked brown rice
- 4 Cup Vegetable stock
- Wash mixed beans beans well, removing any pebbles or misshapen beans. Place in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let beans soak overnight, then drain the water.
- Rinse well and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add capsicum, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes with liquid, chili powder and cumin. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add rice, stock and beans.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours on stovetop or transfer to a slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low. Stew should become thick and beans and rice are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and crusty bread or on its own…. Up to you!